We all help one another
The community of Caño Negro is on the edge of the Caño Negro National Wildlife Refuge. Nearly 800 people live there.
A number of different groups y associations are found here:
- Traditional Dance Group. Leónidas Sequeira Duarte School and Kindergarten.
- ASOMUCAN: The women’s association of Caño Negro administers a butterfly garden and a bakery for the town.
- AMSA: The women’s association of San Antonio specializes in making handicrafts and paper recycling.
- ASOPA: Artisanal fishers group.
- ASOPROTIL: A women’s tilapia production association. They also produce bags, purses, computer cases, bracelets, earrings and necklaces out of recycled plastic bags, among other items.
- Artesanías Caño Negro: Here you will find marvelously creative artistic designs.
- Rancho Santiago
Caño Negro’s most significant annual cultural activities include:
- - Patron Saint Festival in March
- - Civic Fair in May
- - Gaspar (gar fish) Fair in late October
At these festivities you can find traditional foods, handicraft exhibits and sales, cultural activities, dances, band competitions, cycling, traditional games, and more.
In the town of Caño Negro you will be able to find:
- - Water
- - Electricity
- - Telephone
- - Cell phone signal
- - Internet
- - Health center
- - Border police
- - Lodging
- - Soda shops and restaurants
- - Supermarket
Gas stations, banks, hospitals and other services can be found in Los Chiles or Upala (45 minutes away).